Happy Hump Day peeps!! What better subject matter to share on Colour Splash than a journal about ship life?! Get it? Splash…ok that was bad…moving on. LOL!
Ok, so the reeeeeeasonn I am sharing this for Colour splash is not exactly for the irony, although it I though it was genius…I didn’t realize that till after! I’m sharing this with you today because I mixed colors in this project that I probably wouldn’t normally think to put together. Honestly, I really went for it and mixed really victorian florals with really retro looking graphic prints and that’s not something I would normally do either. I didn’t realize it till I started flipping papers around and mixing the companies together that this kit really lends it self to some awesome color mixing that pushed me out of my norm, which was really fun on this journal!!
The Cover was made with two different papers in the Prima “Welcome to Paris Collection” and accented with cut outs from the Prima “Zella Teal Collection” and the Prima “French Riviera Collection. I really love how the nautical feeling of the “French Riviera Collection” set the tone for the “Ship Life” theme of the journal that will establish what will be my cruise journal and the flowers of the “Zella Teal Collection” give it a very victorian and feminine feeling with beautiful metallic touches of silver. I carried the metallic silver touches over to the paper Prima flowers with the Metallique wax that was in the kit (which is divine by the way). To also give it some texture and pizazz I scrapped some Bad Girls Couture Gesso along the bottom of the cover and adhered some gold corse glitter to the wet gesso. I love that it kinda looks like sand but more glamorous;)
I added a couple pockets on the inside cover to hold some little journaling cards and tags I cut out of the Prima “French Riviara Collection” paper. Also, since the back of the paper I used for the cover was a bright burgundy with a pattern that I didn’t think went well with the rest of the project, I used a thin coat of the Bad Girls Couture gesso to cover and distress it, along with a little swipe of my brown stamp pad. Worked out pretty well.
Finally I just cut some plain white paper to size and folded it in half to fit inside, punched two holes in the spine and ran some elastic (you could use string or ribbon) and tied it together to bind it. I like the idea of elastic because it gives a bit if I want to add some memorabilia like folded brochures or tickets later. Then just tied a bit of the scrap lace from the kit to the top of the elastic binding.
It was such a fun project to play with mixing colors and patters. Now y’all go splash into your kits!!