Hello, craft people! Today, I’m sharing a layout I made using the September kit, and some of my “Junque” I have lying around. I think most people have a “junk drawer” but I probably have three, and then there’s just random things I have here and there, that I should probably get rid of but haven’t YET. I did, however, manage to take some of that JUNQUE and add it to this layout to give it a real vintage “odds and ends” feel.
When I first saw the 7 Gypsies Vintage Bunting paper in the September kit, I immediately paired it with the popcorn bag that was also in the kit. Using a color combo with red (popcorn bag) and blue (from the bunting) is one of my favorites for a masculine, vintage layout when added with cream, browns, and greys.
My only issue was how am I going to incorporate more blue to balance the red- so I used my junque. I have two boys, and after my youngest has grown out of the hand-me down clothes. They aren’t fit for donating because they are WORN OUT! And, because the school year has just started, I had cleaned out the drawers to make room for new school clothes, and there were a stack of very sad looking jeans and I didn’t know what I was going to do with them. And, then it was time to make my layout for the Junque It Up post, and I finally had an answer, for at least one pair!
I cut some of the fabric into some circles, and cut the rivets off of the pockets and used those. I added some of the circles under the cluster with the picture, and also by the title, along with some other junque (a button and a key):
I used some other random things in the cluster where the picture is, including some old coins, a washer, buttons, and even a bar code that I cut from one of the pieces of paper in the kit that I placed in the Crate Paper heart clip.
The vintage bunting paper is so awesome! I wanted to add some details to make it more dimensional, and I have a simple tutorial to show you how I turned it from flat to fab!
This is the bunting cut out with the “string”- it wasn’t going to hold up well because it was really skinny.
So, I cut apart each of the banners and pennants, and used a distresser on the bottoms and sides of each.
Now they look distressed and more dimensional.
I added brown ink to the all of the edges.
After inking, I slightly bend/shaped some of the ends for even more dimension.
I really wanted the bunting to pop off the page, so I added some cardboard to the backs of each of the pieces. Foam dots or squares work just as well, but cardboard is free. 🙂
I curled up the tops of each piece of the bunting, and glued some string, and folded the tops over.
And, now I have a dimensional vintage bunting that can be manipulated into any formation on my page, and was a great addition to my dream layout!
Thanks for visiting the blog today and letting me share my layout and tutorial with you!